Volunteering at a Cockatoo Sanctuary! є(・Θ・。)э


 Hi Hi!

I think its no secret that I have a huge love for birds!

So I wanted to make a blog post about of the newest birdie things
going on in my life right now!

[If you aren't interested in a million
bird photos, maybe skip this blog post ww]

I recently found this amazing artist online who makes these
beautiful felt birds!

They look so real and I really wanted to order one (or a couple).

I reached out and ordered my 2 favorite birds
A MOLUCCAN AND A MAJOR MITCHELL'S Cockatoo!

THEY TURNED OUT SO AMAZING!!

This is how I have them displayed for now!!



Recently, I got to volunteer at a Cockatoo Sanctuary!

There were so many adorable cockatoo but
they had a lot of other cute birds as well!

Cockatoo are my absolute favorite though so I legit
felt like I was in heavan!


Here are the photos I took!

 
 
 
 They had ear plugs in bulk ww

So many of the Cockatoo would greet you and say "Hi" and "hello"!
[It so so insanely adorable and I have a
video with audio of this on my Instagram post!]


Some would also reach their legs through
the bars and grab at you.

Some were sweet and would with play with your hand but a few others would try to pull you closer,which you had to
watch out for in case they bite! ww!



[This little cutie has a felt collar to prevent plucking]


[So many wanted head scratches too]




It was so adorable because, when I
would be talking or interacting with a bird, then
the moment I turn to the next cage,
there would be another bird super close right up against
the bars of the cage.

It was so cute and funny!
They are so social and most of them just want
to interact and chat!



 




Cockatoo also do this adorable thing when they feel relaxed or happy,
they will fluff up their feathers and some feathers
will cover their beak a little.



Cuddle time!

People really enjoy Cockatoos because
they have a huge cuddley side!




The aftermath of cuddling one bird..




 
 
I also helped repair a screen door!
I even got to use a nail gun; which was really fun!




There were a few other less glamorous/dirty jobs I did,
but I will spare you the details www.



 
Before leaving we got Hawaiian BBQ for dinner!


It was so tasty!

I got back home very late and IMMEDIATELY threw
my clothes in the wash and took a shower!

In the end it was such an amazing experience and it felt so rewarding! 
I am really happy I got to help and make a difference.

Along with Amazon's and African Greys, Cockatoos are some
of the most re-homed birds and are often given right back even
after being adopted.

They are very difficult and high maintenance birds so
I am happy I got to help care for some, and give them a little extra
attention and cuddles for the day!

Thanks so much for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment

✩ Popular Posts ✩